20 Reasons Your Flight Attendant Might Not Be Happy-Go-Lucky
Let me break it down for you…
If your flight attendant isn’t chipper and licking your ass throughout the flight, there is probably a very good reason behind it.
The expectations of flight attendants are very high, yet the compensation and working conditions for many of us are incredibly low.
Most times we aren’t even given the proper tools to do our job to meet said high expectations.
Of course I can’t speak for every stew at every airline, but some examples of experiences at MY airline are as follows:
1. My company treats me and my colleagues like complete shit.
2. I get ZERO respect from said employer.
3. I am nothing more than a number.
4. I can work up to 14-16 hours a day.
5. I only get paid for about 6 of those hours.
6. I do not get paid a fair or livable wage.
7. I don’t always get to eat.
8. My company’s work rules are crap and my union doesn’t do anything about it.
9. I am treated like a servant by some passengers.
10. My company is intentionally stalling contract negotiations.
11. Passengers verbally abuse me on a daily basis.
12. Customers expect “Pan Am” service in a post airline deregulation & 9/11 world.
13. Many customers don’t listen to any of the PA announcements.
14. Adults take a shit or piss in the lavatory and don’t flush the toilet, forcing me to do it so the next person doesn’t have to look at it.
15. *I* am the asshole because I have to repeatedly tell adults to turn off their electronic devices for whopping 10 minutes.
16. If I call off sick and present a doctor’s excuse I am still disciplined.
17. Because of #16 I am afraid to call off even if I’m severely ill.
18. My current income is considered to be “poverty” level and I am eligible for food stamps.
19. Just like you I go through the same horrific TSA security shit (including pat-downs), only for me it is daily, and about 4 times a week.
20. I didn’t make up the Federal Aviation Regulations I am obligated to enforce, however I am constantly arguing with those that don’t want to comply with any of them.
So not only are we disrespected and treated like shit by our own employers, but we then go to work and are treated the same by some of our customers.
Please keep this list in mind the next time you fly, and cut us a little break. I promise if you are nice to us we will go out of our way to be nice to you.
Kindness begets kindness.
Feel free to comment below, you may even do so anonymously. Join the discussion!
- More Sassiness
- air travel
- crew members
- flight attendant
- Flight attendants
- rants of a sassy stew
- sassy stew